[NOBE-L] Creative Writing Practicum

taranabella0 at gmail.com taranabella0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 02:14:16 UTC 2020

Hi Matthew,

I taught third grade for two years, and I am currently a second grade teacher. Some of the strategies I use when teaching writing groups include: using game show buzzers that each have a unique sound to answer questions about a mentor text, using celebration claps to reward when students read their writing out loud to the group for everyone to praise and make suggestions, listening for the sound of a pencil moving, and removing any distractions. If I notice I have a student fidgeting with items inside their desk, I will have them turn the desk around so that the opening is facing away from them. As you mentioned, I have used apps with sighted volunteers to assist with grading papers, however, I have my students write their names on the back of their paper and use a uniquely shaped hole punch in the corner of each student’s paper to tell who’s belongs to who while maintaining confidentiality. In third, we used a lot of rubrics and checkless to work on editing their own writing before turning it in, and this helped to correct some of the more minor errors that would be more difficult to pick up on without having someone with Vision look for them. It sounds like you’ve already gotten some great suggestions, and I think you should have no problem managing your writing group. Have fun, but be firm with the kids and you will quickly form positive relationships with your students.

Tara Abella