[NOBE-L] Reading and math assessments and virtual teaching

Nikki Palm nikkirae83 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 04:00:33 UTC 2020

Hi there,
I have primarily used Zoom. I have also used Google Meet pretty frequently on my phone. Both are accessible, but I like Zoom best.

I am not a teacher yet, but I plan to have students raise their hand and say their name. This way, they do not lose the habit of raising their hand. At the beginning of the year I plan to stress that it is alright to call out their name in my class, but not in others. You can do this by reminding them that often times, there are different rules in each classroom.

I do not really have experience with tracking fluency as of yet. I have an idea that may or may not be good lol. Maybe you could have the reading material pre-marked so that you are aware of how many words there are at various points. To track time while the student is reading, you could use your phone, tablet, smart watch, echo, Google Home, etc. If you are worried about the screen reader of these devices being distracting, you could use headphones for some of them. You could have just one ear bud in if needed. However, the volume could be kept pretty quiet. Plus, you could pick a fun sound that the kids like for when the timer goes off.

Nikki

Sent from my iPhone