[NOBE-L] Cross-posted: Graduate student requesting assistance in determining accessible assignments for creative arts in social work course

Kathy goldendolphin17 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:39:53 UTC 2020

Miranda,

This is actually really cool. I love the challenge of figuring out not just how you can get the most out of this class but also how to voice creative emotional response as a person who is blind. I really hope you will tell us more about how this goes when you are doing it or afterward.

I would lean toward manipulatives such as clay, wiki sticks, and other things that have texture, either actual things or things you could use verbally or in writing to describe. For instance, the feel of silk could express calm emotions whereas the feel of sandpaper could express discontent. On the flipside, you as a person who cannot see may need to learn how a sighted client/students might respond artistically. This may mean memorizing color and shape associations that are typical outpourings from art therapy. You are obviously capable of memorizing these things, and maybe in the longrun, what you take most from this class may be not necessarily just your own expression but deliberately learning what a sighted person might express.

Again, this is fascinating to me. As a creative writing teacher, I think I could talk for hours on this subject as I speculate how creativity voices itself differently through emotional expression when vision is not involved. Is there room in your school bag for a fellow educator to sneak into the class? :-) The best to you.

Grace and Peace,

Kathy Nimmer and Nacho

“No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.” - Author Unknown