[NOBE-L] Job interviews, teaching assistants, and accommodations

Jackie Larrauri ixchel.jackie.larrauri at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 21:13:19 UTC 2021

Hi all,
I hope you are doing well!
As the job interview season draws near, and as I prepare for the virtual job fair, I was hoping to get some advice from those of you who have gone through the interview process. In particular, if you teach in the elementary grades, I was hoping to ask about how receptive the principals were to you teaching. I have posted some of my questions below, but I’d be more than happy to talk with anyone offlist. My number is: 571-235-0503 if that works better than email.
Questions:

  1.  Did you let your interviewer know you were blind ahead of time or did you let them find out in the interview? I feel this question is especially applicable now with virtual job fairs and interviews—should I mention it during the interview or leave it out unless they mention it?
  2.  Did you answer questions about your blindness and abilities during the interview? I’ve heard they’re not supposed to ask, but I’m assuming they will. If so, what sorts of questions were you asked?
  3.  Have principals insisted on you having an assistant in order to be hired? If so, did you push against it/is it worth it?
     *   If you do have an assistant as part of the condition of hiring you, what, if anything do they do for you? I had a meeting with the principal at my current student teaching placement and he noted that the county might need me to have an assistant (and he would ask it if he could I presume) as a safety measure for students in case of a lockdown, fire drill, behaviors that occur, and notes or other papers that I may receive throughout the day that need to be read immediately. I’m just wondering how to go about all this in the case more principals bring that up as a condition of employment.
  4.  In terms of accommodations, what, if any did you ask for? When did you bring that up—during the interview or after you were hired?

Thank you for answering my questions, and I’m sorry if they seem simple—I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks again and stay safe,

Jackie