[NOBE-L] Considering Teacher Education

Valeria Jacobs vparadiso92 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 21:29:50 UTC 2021

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for reaching out. So, I agree with the sentiment that was just expressed on this thread, you are not living under an allusion and can absolutely teach students if you choose. some advice that was really helpful when I was getting started was to figure out where my interests lie, and set up good organizational systems-based on where I would be and who I would be working with. As far as skills, we are all always learning, but be prepared for technology that is constantly changing.Be OK with being introduced to platforms that may be clunky or annoying and do not let  this phase you. The most important thing is that you are able to figure things out. Also, strong mobility skills are very important. I say this because faculty, students and other adults will not take the teacher seriously if they do not present like they can travel confidently. There are a number of folks on this list who teach on different levels, so you have definitely reached out to the right people for suggestions.

I am also a braille reader and use a white cane. While I have an assistant in the classroom now, I did not always have one and that was just as effective, it really depends on your assignment and what you need to get done. I know for me, since my students are older I am  able to get past many of the print barriers by having them turn work in to me directly electronically. I provide feedback the same way. There are always exceptions though and when students present me with handwritten work I do use my assistant for reading. She also helps me out by observing the students and queuing me in on behaviors when necessary. If you are interested in working with younger children, perhaps you would consider using the assistant to help out during field trips or other outdoor activities. If you are organized, the students and faculty will pick up on your systems quickly though and it will be very obvious that you are in charge and many of the safety concerns will go away. even if it’s annoying, when people meet you with resistance and ask you insulting questions, respond with your own ideas.

Best wishes and reach out with any questions,

—
Valeria