[NOBE-L] Student teaching

Nikki Palm nikkirae83 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:26:07 UTC 2022

Hi Shelby,
Congratulations on reaching the milestones of student teaching! This is a very exciting and scary time. I completed my student teaching last school year. Although I work with high schoolers, I can tell you that I won hundred percent agree with everything that Chase suggested to you.

You will quickly learn what works for you and what does not work for you. I thought I had a solid plan walking into student teaching and I changed about half of it a week into it. I feel like this is normal whether you are a Blind or cited teacher.

As for classroom management, I strongly parrot chases suggestions. You will also learn other ways to check in with students. In the cited world, a common formative assessment is the thumbs up, thumbs down method. We can utilize the same idea a different way. For instance, maybe you have the students knock on the table Or, you ask them to give you a show of voice instead of a show of hands. Since you will be teaching Littles, you may even tell them to bark once for yes or meow ones for no. The biggest thing is procedure. Make sure your expectations for this type of formative assessment are clear from the beginning. This way, you will not have students taking advantage of the moment to possibly scream the classroom walls down.

I would be happy to talk to you off the list if you are interested. Good luck to you. Have fun with it and be yourself.

Nikki Palm