[NOBE-L] Vision requirements on job descriptions

Chase Crispin chase.crispin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:11:47 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I may be moving out east this summer and am beginning to look at teaching
opportunities in the Philadelphia/Wilmington area. I'm in my third year
teaching middle school music in Nebraska. I'm looking at a middle school
music position in Delaware and see the following written in the job duties:
"Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
ability to adjust focus."

I was very surprised to see this. This seems to appear on all public school
jobs listed through the Delaware Education Consortium. They do also mention
accommodating people with disabilities, but this makes me nervous to apply
for jobs in that area.

Have any of you seen something like this before? Has it been a significant
barrier, and if so, how did you work around it? Here is a link to the
posting I mentioned.
https://www.applitrack.com/joindelawareschools/onlineapp/default.aspx?Catego
ry=Middle+School
<https://www.applitrack.com/joindelawareschools/onlineapp/default.aspx?Categ
ory=Middle+School&subcategory=Music+Teacher> &subcategory=Music+Teacher

Thanks for any ideas you may be able to share. My plans are not finalized
yet, so I don't know for sure that I will end up in that area, but I want to
be prepared as our plans become more finalized.

Chase Crispin