[Nyabs] legislation for consideration

Alexander Castillo alexandera.castillo at gmail.com
Mon May 31 11:18:49 UTC 2010

Hi Kate, thanks for summing up what took place in DC. our efforts
continue year round and it's really up to us to keep the momentum
going after returning from Washington and Albany.

I'm going to ask all of us here to do a little bit of  Homework,
myself included. We've all heard about Newsline going down and this is
a service which can be utilized by not only the blind community, but
the print disabled community as well.

So first, if you have not done so, register for newsline. You can use
the telephone to go through the system, your email, or view the text
only content online.

Second, read the following and make some calls.

Stable funding for Newsline can be achieved through the passage of
Senate bill S2615 and Assembly bill A2467.  We have a commitment for
funding through
July 31, 2010.  After that time, funding is in doubt.

The above referenced bills would cause no new taxes to be levied nor
would it require a budget appropriation.  It would however, make the
Newsline system
available to an estimated one million print disabled New Yorkers.

When you call, make the conversation personal.  Tell the person on the
other end of the line what Newsline means to you and how its loss
would negatively
impact your life.

You need to call your local Senator and member of the Assembly.  If
you don’t know their numbers or who they are, you can get that
information by calling
311.  In addition, you need to call Assemblyman Farrell (the Chairman
of the Ways and Means Committee) at:  518-455-4100.  You also need to
call Senator
Carl Kruger (the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee) at:  518-455-2800.

The bills are before their committees and we would appreciate positive
action on them.  These calls need to happen weekly until the bills
are passed.

We can only achieve our goal if ALL of us give it our best efforts and
continue the work.

Thanks in advance for your help and if you have any questions please call.