[Nyabs] {Disarmed} NYC safe streets

Kathryn Carroll carroll.kathryn.e at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:01:15 UTC 2012

Hi NYABS,

Below is a public letter from members of the NYC Council regarding new
city laws that will require audible pedestrian signals at many street
corners in the upcoming years, and also require accessible information
about transportation projects on city websites. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Kathryn, President

Dear New Yorker,

With so many streetscape changes taking place across the City, it's
important for New Yorkers to have access to the information that they need
to safely get around the five boroughs.

This past week, the City Council passed a package of bills that will help
make our streets safer and more accessible for those often most affected by
these changes – the blind, the visually impaired, and people requiring the
use of a wheelchair.

The first bill, Intro. 183, sponsored by Council Member Gale Brewer,
requires the Department of Transportation (DOT) to establish an Accessible
Pedestrian Signals (APS) program. APS's are necessary and potentially
life-saving, as they audibly notify those with visual impairments when
it is
safe to cross the street. Under the program, DOT will work with the Mayor's
Office for People with Disabilities, advocates and members of the visually
impaired community to identify intersections that present the greatest
crossing difficulty for visually impaired people.

Intro. 183 also requires DOT to install an accessible pedestrian signal at
each corner of 25 intersections every year, beginning this year. There will
be consistent examination of the program: DOT must analyze the program's
progress annually, and post a report on its website, identifying 50
intersections in need of these signals while also exploring ways to expand
the program.

Finally, DOT must post on its website the locations of all accessible
pedestrian signals sorted by community and Council district.

Our second bill, Intro. 745, sponsored by Council Member James Vacca, goes
in tandem with the first as it requires DOT to post on its website, in a
format accessible to people with disabilities, the location of all past and
future major transportation projects, as well as past and future
installations or removals of bicycle lanes, pedestrian plazas, and several
categories of signals, including APS.

This bill will ensure that disabled individuals are aware of ongoing
changes
to city streets and of those that will be made in the future. This
notification will be helpful to all New Yorkers, especially those with
visual impairments and the elderly, so that they can make necessary
arrangements to safely travel throughout the city.

The third and final bill, Intro. 449, sponsored by Council Member G. Oliver
Koppell, is related to the livery passenger bill of rights. Currently, a
passenger bill of rights must be posted in all livery vehicles. Intro. 449
will add a much-needed provision to the bill, informing passengers that
they
are entitled to request a wheelchair accessible vehicle and receive service
equivalent to non-wheelchair users.

We would like to thank Council Member Brewer and all our colleagues for
their hard work and support getting these important measures passed.
Special thanks as well to all of the advocates who worked closely with
us on
these issues.

These bills, which we expect Mayor Bloomberg to sign into law shortly, will
help make our streets safer and free of obstacles as we continue our
efforts
to help make sure the City stays accessible for all New Yorkers.

If you have any questions or comments about the information above, please
don't hesitate to contact Lyle Frank, counsel to the Council's
Transportation Committee. He can be reached by phone at (212) 788-9188 or
by email at lfrank at council.nyc.gov <mailto:lfrank%40council.nyc.gov>.
You can also send your questions and
comments to us directly at speakerquinn at council.nyc.gov
<mailto:speakerquinn%40council.nyc.gov>.

Thanks so much, and we hope to be in touch again soon with additional news
and updates.

Sincerely,
Christine C. Quinn
Speaker
NYC Council

James Vacca
Chair, Transportation Committee
NYC Council

G. Oliver Koppell
Chair, Mental Health, Mental Retardation, Alcoholism, Drug Abuse &
Disability Services Committee