[Nyabs] July 15th Conference call minutes

Walei Sabry walei.sabry at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 00:50:05 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,
Hope your summer is going well and welcome back to those who were in convention. Below are the minutes from tonight's conference call.
Walei

July 15th Minutes:
Board members present: Amanda, and Walei
General members present: Valeria and Christopher

Adoption of May minutes:
Motion to approve May minutes was made by Valeria
Motion was seconded by Amanda
Motion passes.
Board member reports:
President Kate: Not present
Vice President Nihal: Not present
Secretary/treasurer Walei: Attending chapter meeting on Monday to collect dews.
Executive member Chancey: Not present
Executive member Amanda: Suggested that we ask Alex to join a conference call and advise us on how to best approach the Hunter text book issue.
Old business:
Fund raising report:
Nihal reported that we sold all the chargers and made$415. We donated $20 to the imagination fund so now we have $395.
Valeria’s report on Convention and scholarship:
Learned about resolutions. There were 26 passed this year. Resolution 16 calls for accessibility of math and science software’s. Resolution 4 calls for pushing for Braille in public schools.
Had a great experience being surrounded by a multitude of independent blind people at the convention and made strong connections with her scholarship classmates. She encourages all students to apply in the future.
Christopher Dejesus joined at the end of our meeting. He shared his convention and scholarship experiences. It was His first convention and contact with NFB. He was struck by meeting so many blind people and enjoyed talking to his classmates as well as other blind people. It was enlightening to him because it was one of his first times to have discussions about issues that ranged from the different types of canes that people use to how to get accommodations. He didn’t feel alone. There was a feeling of unification with the blind community that he told us about. Overall He enjoyed his convention experience and learned a lot of new things about blind culture. For instance, he thought there was only one type of cane that all blind people use. Upon finding out that there’s various types, He ordered a new one. Also, He was impressed with the resolutions and thought they were presented in a professional manner.
Hunter text book issue: No progress
Amanda suggests that we ask Alex to join a conference call to help with the text book issue.
Student seminar:
The tentative date was August 11th.
It would be a good idea to talk about the logistics of organizing it after our chapter meeting on Wednesday.
New business:
Valeria wants to propose a resolution for the state convention in November. The resolution is to require schools that receive federal funding to have some kind of Braille initiative.
Announcements:
State convention is November 9th to 11th and its going to be in White Plains.
Motion to adjourn:
Motion was made by Amanda.
Motion was seconded by Valeria.
Motion passes.
Next meeting is August 12th
We should probably try to meet in the next couple of weeks to plan the student seminar.