[Nyabs] June Conference call minutes

Walei Sabry walei.sabry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:26:13 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,
Attached and pasted below are the minutes from last night's conference call.
Enjoy,
Walei

June Conference call Minutes:
Board members present: Kate, Nihal, Amanda, Walei and Chancey
General members present: Valeria

Adoption of May minutes:
Motion to approve May minutes was made by Kate and Nihal
Motion passes.
Board member reports:
President Kate: Encourages us to communicate more using the NyABS list serve in the periods between our conference calls.
Vice President Nihal: Suggests to have board meetings in person.
Secretary/treasurer Walei:
Suggested that board meetings should change location every month. For example one board meeting can be held at Nihals apartment, another at chancey’s, Waleis, or wherever else we decide.
Created an excel spreadsheet to keep track of dues. It is in the NYABS dropbox folder.
Also Walei urges people to pay their dues.
Executive member Chancey: She reported that we can get the USB chargers for $11.47 but the minimum units that we need to buy to get that rice is 10.
Executive member Amanda: Supports having in person meetings.
Old business:
Valeria’s report  on the beep ball event:
May 19th. Had NFB table and promoted.
Fund raising at national convention:
Chancey: Micro USB back up batteries. Used to charge USB devices. The price is 11.47 per unit. Need to buy at least 10 to get that price.
Will buy 20 chargers and get reimbursed by the student division.
Also looked at mugs and pen thumb drives. All for $11 a unit. Must buy a minimum of 100 thumb drives.
Nihal: Suggested that we bring some Chargers to chapter meeting and try to sell them so we can buy more chargers for convention.
She also has raffle tickets for 50 50 raffle.
Selling the charges in conjunction with the 50 50 raffle tickets was considered as an option.
Hunter text book issue: No progress. Kate and Walei tried to contact their school’s accessibility coordinators in order to get their policies about accessible text books but no one got back to them.
Skype conferences: It was discussed as an option during our last meeting but it was decided that not everyone has Skype.
New business: No new business.
Announcements:
Nihal: Study about lights and reading at the lighthouse: Participants must have 2100 to 2200 vision to be in the study. It’s 20 dollars. It takes about 1 hour. They are testing if whether different lights can increase a person’s ability to read.
Walei: Theater breaking through barriers. A Theater performance with disabled and non-disabled actors. It’s from June 21st to July 1st. Tickets are $19. For more information visit www.tbtb.org
Motion to adjourn:
Motion was made by Valeria and seconded by Amanda.
Motion passes:
Next meeting is July 8th at 6 PM.