[Nyabs] FW: YOUTH POWER!

Kathryn carroll.kathryn.e at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 01:42:48 UTC 2012

Thought I would share this. Sent from my IQTELL Virtual Workspace From: Alexander Umstead (aumstead at syr.edu) Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 04:13 PM To: DREAM at listserv.syr.edu Subject: YOUTH POWER!   FYI - please share widely! --- My name is Colleen Deitrich and I’m the Central Regional Youth Partner with YOUTH POWER! YOUTH POWER! is the New York State network of young people who have been labeled and are seeking change. Together, we have decided to speak up about our experiences because no one knows what it is like for us better than we do. Through peer to peer mentoring, we empower young people to be active citizens that are aware of government operations, their rights and the ability to use their voices to influence policies, practices, regulations and laws. We are young people helping other people, ensuring availability of self-help and peer support while changing systems so that young people get the support they need with the respect and dignity they deserve. I’m writing to you because I’m looking for opportunities to outreach to youth in Central NYS from various cross-systems experiences, including disabilities. I’d love to be able to meet youth interested in joining YOUTH POWER! I would also love to be able to speak to support groups or peer mentoring groups. You may know Micah Fialka-Feldman, who goes to SU. He is a member of my regional team at the moment. I'd like to get more young adults with disabilities on my team! Additionally, if you have youth who’d like to get in touch with other youth involved in self-advocacy, YOUTH POWER! is the place for them! I am hoping to increase membership and support on my regional team, which helps me plan events and increase youth momentum in the region. Colleen Deitrich CDeitrich at youthpowerny.org