[Nyabs] seminar

Kathryn Carroll carroll.kathryn.e at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:30:55 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Below is an outline of the things the seminar needs to take into account.
If you want to present a topic but haven't picked one, you can choose from
something below, or add in your own. If you have information about
logistics or anything else, add it to the outline, and email it back to the
group. I'll compile revisions and create a new outline.

Thanks,

Kate

LOGISTICS

   - Food/Catering

   - Location
      - library

   - Accommodations
      - Dorm rooms at a university?
      - Contact hotel for a group rate

CONTENT

   - Introduction  (presented by NYABS or NFB member)
      - What is NYABS, what is the NFB?
      - What is blindness and who is affected?

   - Education
      - What is CBVH and what does it do? (CBVH representative)
      - What do I have to think about when transition to higher education?
      What is DSS and where does my IEP go? Disclosure and accommodations (DSS
      office representative)
      - What are my option in higher education? (Panel consisting of reps
      from 2-yr, 4-yr, technical school, alternative training and an NFB Center)
      - Amanda
      - POBC NJ Penny

Career

What are my career choices? (Panel: representatives from different fields)

Resume workshop/ Mock interviewing

Internships

Networking (and using social media)

Etiquette

   - TechnologyGuild
      - Options, opinions (representatives from Jewish Guild, and other
      Chancey)

   - Additional Resources
      - Money Management:
         - Personal finance
         - Applying TAP, FAFSA, scholarships
         - Social Security
            - How do paid internships and work study affect my SSI/SSD?
         - Housing: How do I find a place to live? (Paula Wolf of DIA)
      - Outside the Classroom: What are my options for things to do outside
      the classroom - community service, sports and recreation, study abroad,
      etc? (Panel involved in these activities)
         - Achilles Track Club
         - Beep Ball
      - Cosmetics (NJ rep)
      - Transportation: (Brett Eisenberg/ BILS)
         - Ride-share programs

OUTREACH

   - IL Centers
      - Brett Eisenberg, Bronx IL Services: 4419 32d Avenue 10457
      718-515-2800
      - Glenn Campbell, SILO (Coram, NY)
      - Marvin Wasserman, Brooklyn ILC
      - Susan Dooha, Queens ILC
      - Paula Wolf, ILC in Manhattan (housing expert)

   - DIA
   - CBVH
   - Helen Keller Services for the Blind
   - Jewish Guild
   - Catholic Services for the Blind
   - blind vendors program: CCVH Business and enterprise program
   http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/cbvh/enterprise.asp
   - upstate training for hospitality program, More information is
   available by calling Jeff Pease, Statler Center, 716-888-4526,
   jpease at StatlerCenter.org or on line at www.StatlerCenter.org
   http://www.olmstedcenter.org/StatlerCenter/STEC
   - other such vocational and technical programs.
      - Hadley School, http://www.hadley.edu/default.asp

   - United States association of Blind Atheletes http://www.usaba.org/
   - Teacher of blind students program
   - Dominican College http://www.dc.edu/
   - Hunter College, http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/
   - List of Teacher of blind students programs by state
   http://www.teachblindstudents.org/tbs/Teacher_Prep_Programs.asp?SnID=2
   - Brown, Goldstein and Levy
   - Disability Rights Advocates
   - POBC

OTHER

   - Conference buddies: assign 18 and under students to an older NYABS
   member to encourage mentorship/menteeship
   - Invite accommodations coordinators and individuals from TVI and DSS
   offices so we can educate them about what we are doing
   - Provide seminar materials on CD on thumb drive

--
Kathryn Carroll
St. John's University School of Law 2013