[Nyabs] Minutes for September 9th Conference Call

Alexander Castillo alexandera.castillo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 18:01:41 UTC 2012

Hi all, I'm glad to see that the student seminar will be happening
soon, and that the division has new active members making great
contributions.

On the issue of CUNY and their textbooks, I want to make clear that
there should not be a policy which denies you from scanning your own
books at the office of students with disabilities.

If such a thing is occurring, it should be quickly addressed with the
director of your college's disability office. And by quickly
addressed, I mean it should stop immediately. The equipment is there
for your use.

It is also not a bad idea to put pressure on the person who is
responsible for the aquisition of these texts at your college. If they
are pressured, they will have to call the publisher and pressure them
for your accessible version of the textbook. Thepositive aspect of
this is that they are dealing with an individual at the publishing
company and not a machine.

I've mentioned before that attending the CCSD meetings should be a
priority, and making sure that they understand that blind students
have a voice in the CUNY system should not be understated.

This might have changed, but there was someone always in attendance at
these meetings from the Mayor's office for people with disabilities.
If CUNY won't listen, then perhaps speaking to this person directly
may have better results.

Also, I’m not sure what national is doing in terms of addressing the
publishing companies with regard to equal access, but it is something
worth looking into as a division. You can always contact NABS and see
if perhaps by our next convention, this issue can take priority. I
certainly think that we have had to struggle with this issue for too
long, and we are at a point in time in which technology has made it
possible for us to have equal access to learning materials.

Thanks for reading, and anything that we can accomplish to lift even
the smallest obstacle is worth the struggle.

Alex