[Nyabs] VoiceOver Users and SideCar App

Kathryn Carroll nyabs.board at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 15:36:09 UTC 2013

The NFB of Massachusetts and Mika Pyyhkala are investigating the >>> accessibility of the SideCar ride sharing app to blind VoiceOver users >>> with Apple iOS devices. >>> >>> Here are some questions and answers about this project: >>> >>> Q: What is SideCar Ride? >>> A: SideCar Ride is one of several emerging E-Hail apps that allow you >>> to request a ride or ground transportation via a mobile phone or >>> device. Other E-Hail apps you may have heard of include Uber, Hailo, >>> Lift, etc. These apps allow you to track the arrival of your vehicle >>> with your smartphone, check the availability of nearby vehicles, >>> complete payment electronically, and receive accessible digital email >>> receipts. E-Hail apps have many benefits to riders and drivers that >>> were previously not possible or available. >>> >>> Q: What citys is SideCar currently available in? >>> A: San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Austin, Philadelphia, Chicago, >>> Boston, Brooklyn, NY and Washington, D.C. >>> >>> Q: What are some of the more interesting features of the SideCar Ride >>> app and service? >>> A: SideCar advertises that users can see the number and location of as >>> well as the ETA of the nearest SideCar vehicle available to give rides >>> in your area based on your GPS position. Once you request a ride, you >>> can track the vehicle as it approaches your pickup point. Also, >>> SideCar Ride uses an innovative pricing model where you, the >>> passenger, specify a "donation," amount to pay the driver. You may >>> elect to pay nothing, to pay less than the suggested donation amount, >>> to pay the exact suggested donation amount, or to pay more than the >>> suggested donation amount. In other words, you as the rider, pick the >>> amount you elect to pay for any given ride. The app also allows and >>> requires you to rate your driver to close out and complete a ride >>> transaction. >>> >>> Q: How can I find out more details about the SideCar Ride app and  >>> service? >>> A: The SideCar Ride web site is located at >>> http://side.cr >>> The company is on Twitter @SideCar and also city specific Twitter >>> accounts are available such as @SideCarBOS @SideCarDC etc. You can >>> also email questions to >>> support at side.cr >>> Feel free to ask the company both general and accessibility related >>> questions. You may be able to find out more about SideCar by >>> searching on the internet or Youtube as well. >>> >>> Q: Are there any promotions or discounts that I can use to try SideCar  >>> Ride? >>> A: An existing SideCar Ride user can refer you to the service, and >>> each party receives a $10 credit. There are also various promotion >>> codes that you may be able to find on Twitter or on the internet. If >>> you know someone who uses SideCar Ride, they may be able to help you >>> find discounts to try the service. >>> >>> Q: When I email e-hail at nfbma.org what kind of information should I  >>> include? >>> A: Please include your full name, the city and state you tried >>> SideCar, and your experience using the app with VoiceOver. You may, >>> for example, describe how the signup process worked with VoiceOver, or >>> how the process to request and complete a ride worked with VoiceOver. >>> If you get stuck in any part of the process, please report this. >>> Please also include a telephone number where we can contact you to get >>> further information. >>> >>> Q: What will happen with the information I submit about SideCar Ride >>> accessibility? >>> A: Mika Pyyhkala and the NFB of Massachusetts are researching the >>> accessibility of SideCar. We will work to address any accessibility >>> issues that are found in the app or service. We are looking for both >>> your experience in trying the service, and also for people who can >>> help with any accessibility issues found in various SideCar citys. We >>> will give you indstructions and more information after you file your >>> initial accessibility report, and as we evaluate the accessibility of >>> SideCar. >>> >>> Q: Is similar accessibility research being done regarding other E-Hail >>> apps like Lift, Uber, Hailo, etc.? >>> A: Yes, and if you have a story about one of these apps please feel >>> free to send it to e-hail at nfbma.org >>> Right now, it is most important that we have blind VoiceOver users >>> test and evaluate the accessibility of SideCar. In the coming weeks >>> and months, we may send out similar requests regarding other E-Hail >>> apps. >>> >>> Q: If I don't live in a current SideCar city, can I still participate? >>> A: Yes, you can still install and register for SideCar. You can use >>> the service when you travel to a supported city, and the company is >>> actively expanding the citys serviced. You can still provide >>> VoiceOver accessibility feedback on the signup process for SideCar, >>> and the overall interface of the app. >>> >>> Best, >>> Mika Pyyhkala, >>> Board Member >>> National Federation of the Blind >>> pyyhkala at gmail.com >>> Twitter: @pyyhkala Kathryn Carroll President, New York Association of Blind Students