[Nyabs] Blind LGBT Pride

Kathryn Carroll nyabs.board at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 03:31:20 UTC 2013

Equality 'Benefits All' Kicking off the third day of Blind LGBT Pride International on July 8 in Columbus, Ohio, Kathy Martinez shared stories about her life as a woman who is blind, Latina and lesbian. She also described the work she oversees as assistant secretary of labor for Disability Employment Policy, which is aimed at advancing equal opportunity by developing and disseminating policies and practices that promote the employment of people with disabilities. "As people with disabilities and members of the LGBT community, it is critical we recognize that our communities share a common history of discrimination that continues to shape the challenges we face today," Martinez noted. "And when we make strides toward equality for any community, whether the disability community, the LGBT community, or any other historically marginalized population, it benefits all of us." Kathryn Carroll President, New York Association of Blind Students https://www.facebook.com/blindstudents