[Nyabs] NABS NEEDS LETTERS!

Ashley R. Burke burke.ashley1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 22:36:50 UTC 2015

Hello everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well.  I am e-mailing you all to seek your
help!  I am a member of NABS legislative committee, we are seeking
letters to show congress that accessibility in higher education is
important to New York higher education students and recent graduates.
As some of you know the NFB has been trying to pass what was called
the Teach Act now the Smart Act.  We are really hopeful this year,
because the Higher Education Act (HEA) is up for reauthorization and
under discussion in Congress right now. The Plan is, to get the
provisions of the SMART Act passed as part of the HEA.
What can you write about?  Well your personal experience that supports
the need for increased accessibility in the classroom or on campus.
Examples!
unusable e-readers or tablets, inaccessible electronic readings
(including miss tagged or inaccessible pdf files), inaccessible course
management software, inability to register independently for classes
or read course descriptions, collaboration sites or software, etc.
If you have other ideas please don’t hesitate to e-mail me to see if
you can write about those.  Also feel free to e-mail me with any
questions.  Thank you so much everyone!  I look forward to hearing
from you!
Sincerely:
Ashley R. Burke