[NYABS] Seeking Experiences with/Thoughts on Mantis Q40 Braille Display

Noah Carver noahcarver494 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 00:36:16 UTC 2023

To Whom it May Concern,

I am a Bachelor of Music student on the hunt for a new braille display, and
I am seeking input from anyone with experience with, or thoughts on, the
Mantis Q40 from APH/Humanware. I will primarily be using the display to
read music braille, books from NLS Bard and BookShare, and other .BRF
files. I will also be using the display with my Windows laptop (I use both
JAWS and NVDA) and Android smartphone. I am drawn to the Mantis because of
its QWERTY keyboard, which can also be used as a Perkins-style keyboard if
necessary, as well as its ability to automatically translate text formats
to braille. The onboard connectivity to services such as Bookshare is also
quite impressive and appreciated.

As mentioned above, I am seeking input from people who have experience with
the Mantis. What has been your impression? Has it lived up to your
expectations? Have you had any unpleasant surprises as a Mantis owner? How
is the repair experience? Is there anything I should know before committing
to the purchase of a Mantis?

Thank you in advance for any input or suggestions which you might have.

Sincerely,

Noah

--
Noah Carver