[NYABS] JAWS not Showing Capital Letter Indicator When Rendering German Braille

Noah Carver noahcarver494 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 15:30:08 UTC 2023

To Whom it May Concern,

I need to read German Braille for Elementary German, a course that I am
taking as part of my required classes. As such, I have configured JAWS with
two braille profiles: English and German. However, JAWS does not render the
capital letter indicator (dot 6) when rendering Braille via the German
profile even though the “Suppress Capital Signs” checkbox within the
“Profile details” dialog for the German profile is not checked. I am
running JAWS version 2023.2307.37.

I have configured the German profile as follows:

   -

   For Contracted Braille, Use: German Grade 0
   -

   When using Computer Braille For Output, Use: European Unicode
   -

   When using Computer BrailleFor Input, Use: European Unicode
   -

   By Default, Use: Contracted Braille
   -

   Use Liblouis for Computer Braille: Not checked
   -

   Suppress Capital Signs: Not checked

Additionally, I have configured the checkboxes within the “Language
Profiles” dialog as follows:

   -

   Link Braille Input Language To Keyboard Language: Checked
   -

   Automatic Language Detection: Checked

>From my understanding of JAWS, the above configuration should allow display
of uncontracted German but with capital letters indicated. However, this is
not happening. Any input as to why this is not occurring is greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Noah

--