[Nyagdu] John Cave Story

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:27:05 UTC 2008

I want to  first say, sorry I have really been ill with that virus that was
going on.  It was even on the News about it. finally all over.  So I will be
mailing out those brochures.  I am wondering if Joyce is on our list and if
anyone has her mailing address so I can send her one as well.

Tracy do you want a brochure also, send me your mailing address.

The Story of John Cave for those of you who do not know about this issue.
About almost 2 years ago, a deaf high school student John Cave, who is
attending W T Clarke High School in Westbury, NY.  I went to the rival high
school Westbury High School, and a few of my friends went to this school.
John had decided that he wanted to get a service animal, and he went for
training and got one, upon entering the school with Simba, he was told that
he could not bring the dog into school, because the teacher and a few of his
classmates are allergic, to this day this has not been proven.  The school
was and is still making it very difficult.  I  believe Marion can go into
the legal stuff, since he has been looking into this case.  Also might I add
that Jim McCarthy who is director of governmental affairs for the National
Federation of the Blind, has been involved looking into this.  Yes this is a
deaf boy, but the out come and the issue stands as a service animal issue,
which NAGDU is involved with.

I was just a new member of the chapter at that time and did know that this
was going on.  For those who remember, Melissa Resnick, she was also the
former treasurer of the Long Island Chapter who I replaced, she testified
when this all started.  Her boy Frank Shamenek, who is on the legal team
with the Cave Family.

As Margo mentioned that the NAGDU has sent a amicus brief.  From what I have
gathered from speaking with Frank on this and Marion will correct me if I am
wrong, The Department of Education trumps the ADA Laws. Please correct, not
only  can they deny and dog but also a cane.  As some of us are old enough,
as I haven't been blind for a long time. I was told a story here by someone
who is not an NFB member that the CBVH centers didn't allow you to use cane
either for awhile.

Anyway, like Margo has said this is not a blind issue, but it will effect
anyone with a Service Animal.

If I have forgotten anything please fill in the blanks Marion.  Thanks.

Cheryl Echevarria
Treasurer
National Federation of the Blind
Greater Long Island Chapter