[Nyagdu] Minutes of NYAGDU meeting

JULIE PHILLIPSON jbrew48 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 20:19:16 UTC 2009

I don't know if I can send as attachment to the list so I am sending it both
ways.
New York Association of Guide Dog Users (NYAGDU) conference call August 25,
2009

In attendance were: Margo Downey President

Marion Gwizdala National division president

Lucy Cox

Cheryl Echavaria

Julie Phillipson secretary treasurer

Tracy Carcione

We have elections this year for all 3 offices.  Margo said she is interested
in running for president.  We thought that our meeting at the state
convention in October could be a Breakfast meeting rather than a luncheon.
We agreed that we still would like to get a separate room where we can have
it.

We talked about the process of updating the constitution.  Marion needs to
look it over more closely.  He says the most important parts are now
included that first the section that associates NYAGDU with the national
division, and second with our new structure of membership which reflects
that if you are a member of the state division, you are also now a member of
the national division.  We would make amendments at our state convention in
October concerning these two points.

We need to work on getting the service animal access laws to Strike the
portion where it says that a business can request that an I D card can be
asked for.

We also need to get the part of the law changed that says a dog must be in
harness.  Not all service dogs need to have a harness to be a service dog.
The penalty for a first offence is missing it just acknowledges that it is a
violation with no other consequences.  We Talked about the resolution that
the national division will present, which will make it a goal of the
organization to support getting guide dog issues part of the criminal code.
.  We should Look into seeing if there is any way to getting  police
authority an situations where there are access issues.  We might be able to
create some access problems like go to any ethnic establishments.  .

NAGDU is talking about creating informational cards and literature together
to hand out and send to different organizations such as hospitals, police,
and store owners.

Marion will send us a news release of white cane safety day and guide dog
users.

We need to work on building up the NYAGDU membership.  One idea is to Look
through the subscribers list of the nagdu email list, there are 225 people
on the list and some of them might be in New York.

We ended the call at 9:20 PM.

Julie Phillipson

Secretary, NYAGDU

Julie Phillipson