[Nyagdu] Blind Man plans to solo 130 walk across Bay Area

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:50:40 UTC 2010

I found out about this on the GDF talk list.

Here is the link and also the story if there is a problem with the link.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/2/27/588586.html?title=Blind+man+pla

CITRUS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Taking to the open road, a man without sight
is taking the journey of a lifetime.

James Miekka says he plans to make the trek from northern Citrus County all
the way to St. Petersburg.

"I do a lot of walking in different places," says Miekka. "So I figured I'd
push myself to the limit with the biggest walk ever."

Miekka's blindness will most likely be an obstacle.

"It's going to be both mentally and physically challenging," says Miekka.

His only live assistance along the 130 mile path will be in the form of his
guide dog, Zoey.

Miekka also says he plans to use math for directions.

"I can use the waypoint and calculate the average speed and project that to
the rest of the trip," says Miekka.

Miekka used to be a physics teacher, and has the entire trip mapped out on a
tape recorder, and in his head.

E-mail TV reporter Ferdinand Zogbaum
He knows how long he needs to be on each road, and when to turn.

In case something happens, he also plans to bring a braille compass.

Miekka's journey comes with the purpose of raising awareness and money for
an organization called Blind Americans in Citrus County.

"Besides, my girlfriend would like me to lose a little weight," says Miekka.
"So I thought I'd work that in, too."

Miekka will try to average about 15 to 20 miles per day.

He has arranged places to sleep along the way.

If everything goes according to plan, including taking a few days off due to
bad weather, Miekka says he hopes to be in St. Petersburg by the end of next
week.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
http://Echevarriatravel.com