[Nyagdu] Report on Activities Pertaining to Guide dogs

Margo and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Sat Jun 23 15:08:41 UTC 2012

convention time is almost upon us.  I will not be at Convention but Julie Phillipson has graciously stated she will give our NYAGDU report during the division reports segment of the meeting.

I would like to hear of anything you all have been doing on a local level which has something to do with guide dogs.  It might be traffic and street crossing issues, access issues, advocacy, speaking engagements, etc.  Please email them to me and I'll write up a report for Julie to give.

After Convention and after a little time for rest, we will begin to prepare to implement the resolution which was passed in 2010 regarding placing criminal penalties into our existing guide dog access law.  Just a reminder that resoltuions passed by members at National Convention become policy.  We will also make sure that there is nothing in the law which states that a business can ask for one's I D to prove the animal is a service animal.  Asking for the I D restricts the ADA which states no one can ask for identification.

I will be sending out a law or two from other states with criminal penalties so we can take a look at those.

there will be a conference call shortly after convention.  Nagdu's President (Marion Gwizdala) and our State Affiliate president, Carl Jacobsen, will be invited to participate on this call.

I have already spoken to Carl Jacobsen about this legislation and he's ready to begin the process after Convention.

Please have any reports into me by Wednesday morning.  Thanks.

Have a wonderful convention.  have a wonderful summer, and give those pups a pet and a hug for me.

Margo and Arrow