[Nyagdu] Event I was honored at Monday night

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:07:44 UTC 2012

Good morning NYAGDU.
The story that was written about me in the Long Island Press will be in the April Braille Monitor.  Yesterday the pictures and the wrap up article in the Long Island Press came out. Now I know most of us cannot see these photos. I am hoping that Mike Robinson will possible post the event on NFBNY.org, since it does mention the NFB in it, and the pictures with me and Governor Paterson and the other ladies.
There was another women in the group with us ladies that was also honored, there were 8 of us all together, 2 were not there due to illness that night.  Her daughter was diagnosed with
Leber Congenital Amaurosis (LCA), a rare genetic disorder that results in the progressive loss of vision. Those with LCA eventually go blind, typically when they’re in their late teens to early twenties, her daughter has the condition is extremely uncommon, has an even rarer form of it, RDH12-Related LCA.
So since I had my NFB hat on, and David and Lori were there, as well as Father John Sheehan from the Xavier Society and Richard Goldstein was there as well. Introduced everyone and invited the family to our NFB meeting.
In fact, this is the second family this year that has joined the chapter here on Long Island.  The other family are the Castros, their Son Daniel goes to school in East Meadow and is learning Braille there, our former NY NFB Member Sheila set up in Nassau County.  The father works very closely with my husband Nelson at CPI Aero
http://www.fortune52.com/2012/03/06/fortune-52-networking-event-march-12-2012/

Leading the Way in Independent Travel!

Cheryl Echevarria
http://www.echevarriatravel.com