[Nyagdu] Phoney guide dogs a worrisome trend

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 7 16:35:37 UTC 2013

	Though this seems to have been written by a Canadian consumer and
the laws of Canada may be different than those in the U.S., the assertion by
the writer that there is no need for an individual to purchase a harness is
not necessarily true. I have harnesses not issued by the program that
trained my dog. One is a nylon harness that is lightweight and perfect for
days at the beach or rainy weather. Since all guide dog training programs
reserve the right to repossess their issued  harness, I think it is a good
idea to have a harness one owns that the program cannot remove should they
invoke this right arbitrarily, which some have done.

	The National Association of Guide dog Users opposes any effort to
restrict the sale of service animal gear over the internet. We do support
better education of places of public accommodation as it pertains to their
rights to require the credible assurance of those claiming protections under
state and federal laws and their right to refuse access to those whose dogs
pose a direct threat or are out of control. NAGDU believes such education is
more equitable than banning the sale of gear over the internet.

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org