[Nyagdu] finding housing in NYC with a guidedog

wmodnl wmodnl wmodnl at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 17:39:56 UTC 2013

Good afternoon,
In one of your messages, you discussed how HUD lists are all closed.  Have you searched on both the repository and called various HUD properties for applications?  As a former resident of Sellis Manor, I can tell you that the building is going through a Transition.  They are supposed to be renovating the building within the next year.  Upon completion, the wait-list will be re-opened since various units are vacant.  You should call them, and ask for an application, telling them that you are interested for something by 2014-2015 as a long-term solution. Familiarize yourself with all housing guidelines, including the HUD handbook, to see if you can find other work-arounds.

There are ways around wait-lists with HUD and other public/private housing authorities.  One of them, is to have a group of you apply for a unit together.  You are then considered  a family, giving you priority on wait-lists.  Find-out what Ofiliation s a property may have with church or civic groups.  Many times, if you indicate that you are apart of or are interested in said groups, they may help you out.
Look into being involved with community boards.  Quite often, they have political connections to help you in the process.  As the old saying goes, one hand washes the other.  Finally, you may want to look into a temporary hostile situation such as renting a room in a house, or in a dorm-like setting.  I know that in some locals, places like the Y rent space on a temp basis.
Hope this helps.
You are welcome to contact me off-list at the email above.  I am in the NYC area over the next few days; so, if our schedules fit, maybe we can discuss this and other options further in-person.
Best wishes,
William

Sent from my iPad