[Nyagdu] Reauthorization of the Rehab Act

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Sun Jul 28 14:59:17 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,

My Blind Spot wanted everyone to know that Senators Harkin & Alexander have
Released a Joint Bipartisan Statement on the Rehabilitation Act of 1990 that
will change and empower lives for the disabled!

The U.S. Senate has released a historic memo regarding the National
Conservation Leadership Institute's "NCIL"  highest priority,
reauthorization of the Rehabilitation Act and the establishment of an
Independent Living Administration (ILA). Specifically, the offices of
Senators Harkin and Alexander issued a statement highlighting significant
Independent Living provisions within the legislation.

S. 1356, a bipartisan bill to reauthorize the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
and its contained Rehabilitation Act was formally introduced on Tuesday. We
need our members to take action now by contacting Senators on the HELP
Committee to make sure that this bill goes to the Senate floor for a vote.

The most important change to existing law is the establishment of an ILA,
and the transfer of the Independent Living program from the Department of
Education (ED) to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under
the Administration for Community Living (ACL). The National Institute on
Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) will also be moved to ACL and
renamed the National Institute on Disability and Independent Living Research
(NIDILR).

The bipartisan joint statement acknowledged that "We know the importance of
the Independent Living program to provide services to individuals with
disabilities to maximize their independence and ability to participate fully
in all aspects of American society. This move builds on the positive work by
Secretary Sebelius to create integrated, comprehensive programs that serve
individuals with disabilities so these programs are more effective and have
greater impact in the day to day lives of the people they serve."

My Blind Spot supports the efforts of NCIL and their continued work with the
Senate HELP Committee on S. 1356, and is very pleased and grateful for the
amount of thought and hard work that went into creating this legislation and
pushing the reauthorization process forward. We will continue to update
individuals as this bill makes its way through the Senate.

Below is a list of Senators on the HELP Committee that need to be contacted
at their local offices. Even if you don't have a senator on this list, we
are urging you to contact one in a neighboring state, asking them to pass S.
1356 out of committee. We need our members to call this week; there will be
no second chances. We have come this far, now is our moment, and we must act
immediately.

Senators on the HELP Committee:

            Democrats by Rank

- Tom Harkin (IA), (515) 284-4574,  <mailto:lee.perselay%40help.senate.gov>
lee.perselay at help.senate.gov

- Barbara A. Mikulski (MD), (410) 962-4510,
<mailto:Jessica_mcnice%40mikulski.senate.gov>
Jessica_mcnice at mikulski.senate.gov

- Patty Murray (WA), (206) 553-5545,
<mailto:ariel_evans%40murray.senate.gov> ariel_evans at murray.senate.gov

- Bernard Sanders (I) (VT), (802) 862-0697,
<mailto:Lori_kearns%40sanders.senate.gov> Lori_kearns at sanders.senate.gov

- Robert P. Casey, Jr. (PA), (215) 405-9660,
<mailto:Michael_waskey%40casey.senate.gov> Michael_waskey at casey.senate.gov

- Kay R. Hagan (NC), (704) 334-2448,
<mailto:josh_teitelbaum%40help.senate.gov> josh_teitelbaum at help.senate.gov

- Al Franken (MN), (651) 221-1016,  <mailto:beth_meloy%40franken.senate.gov>
beth_meloy at franken.senate.gov

- Michael F. Bennet (CO), (303) 455-7600,
<mailto:rohini_kosoglu%40bennet.senate.gov> rohini_kosoglu at bennet.senate.gov

- Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), (401) 453-5294,
<mailto:Jennifer_Deangelis%40whitehouse.senate.gov>
Jennifer_Deangelis at whitehouse.senate.gov

- Tammy Baldwin (WI), (414) 297-4451,
<mailto:amber_shipley%40baldwin.senate.gov> amber_shipley at baldwin.senate.gov

- Christopher S. Murphy (CT), (860) 549-8463,
<http://www.murphy.senate.gov/contact.cfm> www.murphy.senate.gov/contact.cfm

- Elizabeth Warren (MA), (617) 565-3170,
<http://www.warren.senate.gov/?p=email_senator>
www.warren.senate.gov/?p=email_senator

Republicans by Rank

- Lamar Alexander (TN), (615) 736-5129,
<mailto:bill_knudsen%40alexander.senate.gov>
bill_knudsen at alexander.senate.gov

- Michael B. Enzi (WY), (307) 772-2477,
<mailto:riley_swinehart%40help.senate.gov> riley_swinehart at help.senate.gov

- Richard Burr (NC), (336) 631-5125,  <mailto:anna_abram%40help.senate.gov>
anna_abram at help.senate.gov

- Johnny Isakson (GA), (770) 661-0999,
<http://www.isakson.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-me>
www.isakson.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-me

- Rand Paul (KY), (859) 219-2239,
<mailto:Natalie_burkharler%40Paul.senate.gov>
Natalie_burkharler at Paul.senate.gov

- Orrin G. Hatch (UT), (801) 524-4380,
<http://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-orrin>
www.hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-orrin

- Pat Roberts (KS), (785) 295-2745,
<mailto:Lauren_stockwell%40roberts.senate.gov>
Lauren_stockwell at roberts.senate.gov

- Lisa Murkowski (AK), (907) 586-7277,
<mailto:Leila_Kimbrell%40murkowski.senate.gov>
Leila_Kimbrell at murkowski.senate.gov

- Mark Kirk (IL), (312) 886-3506,
<mailto:Jeannette_windon%40kirk.senate.gov> Jeannette_windon at kirk.senate.gov

- Tim Scott (SC), (803) 771-6112,
<mailto:Elizabeth_simmons%40scott.senate.gov>
Elizabeth_simmons at scott.senate.gov

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
Founder and CEO
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
 <http://www.myblindspot.org/> www.myblindspot.org

PH: 917-553-0347

doing it."

 <http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Blind-Spot/179273234423> Like Us on
Facebook  <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/albert-j-rizzi/13/142/0> LinkedIn

Access=Ability infinite possibilities logo.jpg