[Nyagdu] NYAGDU Please for the Love of God, or, Dog, Post to the Darn List, Contest *smile* Results

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 12:44:39 UTC 2018

Hi, Ann. Was there a book about you and Panda? I think that guide horses are
a really neat concept. There are things a horse can do that a dog cannot,
and things that a dog can do that a horse cannot. Definitive pros and cons
for both. I am very glad that NAGDU stepped up to defend the rights of guide
horse handlers, because they are a viable option, and for some people, the
best option. I would love to meet you and Panda some time. I am a total and
complete guide dog geek, always wanting to know what harnesses are being
developed, what crosses are being experimented with, etc., and "meet a guide
horse and ask way too many questions of the handler" has been on my list for
a while. I feel that diversity within the arena of guide options is crucial,
so things such as supporting home training programs, encouraging schools not
to abandon their German Shepherd breeding programs, and supporting guide
horse handlers all help to ensure that we will have choices, options, and
the ability to find a program, and a guide that will work for most people
who desire to be partnered with one. Thank you so much for posting. I am
adding you to the drawing.

A point of clarification, you can join NYAGDU if you are a guide horse
handler, are between dogs, no longer work dogs, but have in the past, if you
handle another type of service dog and support the rights of guide dog
handlers, etc. My husband who is the handler of an owner trained psychiatric
service dog is a member of NYAGDU. Think of it as how sighted individuals
can join the NFB, or strait allies can join many LGBTQ organizations.

Heather Bird
"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -
Martin Niemöller
In our diverse society we must never fail to speak up in the face of Human
Rights violations lest we be the next targets of such violations.