[Nyagdu] NYAGDU Please for the Love of God, or, Dog, Post to the Darn List, Contest *smile* Results

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 15:00:29 UTC 2018

Yay! It’s a Julie. Hey, that makes 6. We did it. Now I can do the first
drawing. *cheering* Sending hugs, Julie. Knee problems are no fun. In the
future, if it is helpful, I know that some training programs are able to
accommodate extremely abbreviated routes for people with physical concerns,
and to compensate for less walking they give out dogs that are less
energetic, but still good workers. An alternative that some schools find is
to give moderate energy dogs to those who can't walk much, but who can
engage in very active play. For instance, if a dog has a good solid fetch,
then the dog can get quite a lot of exercise playing this game indoors or in
a fenced backyard, while the handler stands or sits still. Also, cross
training a dog yourself to perform some assistance tasks to help mitigate
physical concerns can also help keep them mentally sharp and can help the
handler, but how willing some schools are to accept a handler adding tasks
varies widely from one program to another. Don't give up. You might be able
to have guides for many more years, and if not? You will always be a guide
dog handler at heart and always welcome in the NYAGDU. *big hugs and a pat
for Viggo*

Heather Bird
"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -
Martin Niemöller
In our diverse society we must never fail to speak up in the face of Human
Rights violations lest we be the next targets of such violations.