[Oabs] Update on Secretary of State

Kaiti Shelton via Oabs oabs at nfbnet.org
Tue May 20 20:04:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update I received last night on the
Secretary of State issue.  Emily, I left you a message about this on
your cell as well.

Since our division is in a grey area, there is a lot of confusion even
from bankers about it.  The lady at the Wright Pat Credit Union was
wrong, we do not need to register separately under the Secretary of
State, which also means that it is not necessary for us to pay $150.
As far as establishing ourselves as a legal entity which is authorized
to have an account and do business is concerned, our tax ID number
from the IRS is enough legitimacy.  However, we will need to pay a fee
every so often.  I am pretty sure Eric's email said the fee would be
$50 every 3 years, but that is easily manageable if we continue to
fundraise and build up some cash in the account.

I am going to call the PNC bank that Emily and I are planning to go
to, and ask to speak with the person we will be meeting with.  I want
to make sure that we're all on the same page before Emily and I get
there, and to be thurrough about it.  I did this last time as well,
but you'd also expect bankers to know their stuff.  Now, I have a
little more knowledge of the law, and I know that what Eric and Sherry
originally told us was indeed correct.

Glad to see that we're taking steps in the right direction with this.
On another note, the Tax ID forms (which are extremely late) finally
came to my house today.  We officially have everything we need to get
this account off the ground.