[Oabs] Minutes from the November 21, 2014 meeting

Macy McClain macymcclain at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 18:53:39 UTC 2014

Hi everyone!
Pasted at the end of this message are the minutes from the November 21 meeting. For those who missed the call, you missed a rather energizing one! Please promise Kaiti and I and everyone else that you will be at the next one. By the way, Kaiti, I can send you the minutes attached for your records.
Before I get to the minutes, however, I'd like to ask a favor. I realize as secretary that I should attend the monthly meetings and take minutes. I will NOT be at December's meeting, due to a prior commitment (I'm leading worship for a 2-night event). This also includes a dress rehearsal beforehand. Would anyone be willing to take minutes for me at that meeting? If so that would be totally awesome!
If I don't talk to you all again, have a Happy Thanksgiving! Don't eat too much. Haha.
Macy
Ohio Association of Blind Students (OABS)
A division of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio and ofthe National Association of Blind Students (NABS)
Friday, November 21, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 7:36 PM. Lillie Pennington took minutes at the convention. We will get those from her in December.
We welcomed two new prospective members, Kyle Frownfelter, and Brennen, friend of Aleeha Dudley, to the call. Welcome and we hope you'll stay around!
A panel regarding NFB philosophy was discussed.
Deborah Kendrick, panel moderator, started off the panel by asking the members to introduce themselves, talk about the philosophy of the NFB versus different organizations, and give an example as to how the philosophy has made a difference in their lives.
Barbara Pierce joined the Federation in January of 1974. She had to create a chapter in order to join. She was president of the Ohio affiliate from 1984 to 2008, and editor of the Braille Monitor for quite a long time. There were two statements summarizing the philosophy she discussed, the first being "The real handicap of blindness is not the loss of vision but public attitudes"; and second, "Given fair opportunities and appropriate training, the average blind person can do the average job in the average place of business". Opportunity means fair chances, and appropriate training means cane or guide dog travel, Braille, alternative techniques, etc. If equipped, you can compete on terms of equality with others. No other organization had that concept.
Example that changed her life: In 1981, she had 3 children, the youngest was in   3rd grade at the time. She wanted to go to work full-time, and started looking around for jobs. She got 2 opportunities, one serving as a part-time hospital chaplain, and the second as the assistant director of the Alumni Association at Oberlin College. She wondered if she could have a job and be a wife and mom.
Eric Duffy is the president of the NFB of Ohio. He joined in 1984. He heard a little bit about it, but more so in a negative light back then. It's okay to be blind. Given the choice, we wouldn't have chosen it. We use alternative techniques to get things done. They're not inferior techniques.
Deborah Kendrick is a writer and the liaison to the student division, and the president of the Cincinnati chapter. She didn't know any blind people growing up. She wasn't discouraged; she had confidence before she had skill. She joined 20 or so years ago. Dr. Jernigan's speeches inspired her.
Debbie Baker is a retired teacher and board member of the NFB of Ohio. She heard that the NFB was a radical organization. She never doubted that it was respectable to be blind. She had supportive family and friends. She was  also nominated as Distinguished Educator of Blind Children and attended her first National Convention.
Chris Omeally is a student from Virginia, still a student. He didn't get involved until 2004 when he went to his first state convention. He always lived like he wasn't blind. He started reaching out to more people before going to LCB. He thinks that even though his parents shelter him, the Federation showed him that everyone has a choice to make and a path to take.
Without philosophy, no bread is baked. It doesn't bring about anything, but without drive to live it, you're not going to do anything. You have to put it into action.
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind and our dreams. You can live the life you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.
The Constitution of our division looks fine with the changes made. Kaiti will send it to our affiliate secretary.
Video Project
We need pictures of people doing things. The board will get together via email and come to an agreement regarding which topic they should talk about.
Bookmark Fundraiser
We're working on some sort of a design template. National Braille Press (NBP) will be producing them. We either need someone to professionally print them, or NBP would have to do that.
Emily Pennington will ask her dad about a prototype design for this year's bookmarks.
Aleeha moved and Macy seconded that Kaiti send the website info over the list.
Emily moved and Aleeha seconded that we adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.
Respectfully Submitted,
Macy McClain, secretary

Sent from my iPhone