[Oabs] What should we do next?

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 03:44:56 UTC 2014

Kaiti and all,
I am so relieved to see this thoughtful response to Elif's honest and
somewhat painful message.
Elif, it must have been very difficult for you to write as you did, and I
totally appreciate and respect the effort.
As the person who invited you to that 2012 convention and urged you to
attend the students' group, I realize now that I should also have alerted
someone in the group to your presence.
As Kaiti indicated, however,

the group was very much in transition that year.  This past year is the most
stable it has been in a long, long time, and so it is a perfect time for
newcomers to get involved.
Kaiti and all board members, I would like to make a suggestion.
We have two scholarship winners this year who are newcomers.  Elif is one of
them.  Jonathan Thomas is the other.
I would like to ask our president and vice president to take on the task of
mentoring these two amazing people.
Kaiti, if you could contact Elif sseparately, and Aleeha, if you could
contact Jonathan separately, and just talk through what goes on throughout
convention, I think that would be so helpful -- and beneficial to everyone
in the long run.
Maybe one phone conversation before convention which includes a set time to
meet up one on one -- either to grab something to eat or drink when you
arive or even just to sit together at the board meeting or convention
session.  Nothing to add to your schedule, but rather, simply adding this
new person into your circle.
Yes, I'm possibly putting you both on the spot by addressing this publicly,
but I'm doing so because I have tremendous faith in both of you -- and all
of our officers -- to be confident, example-setting leaders, and I know you
want to welcome such bright new talent into the division.

Let me know what you think.

Deborah