[Oagdu] Apartment hunting and pet policy

Lori Dent RECENT
Wed Apr 1 03:55:26 UTC 2015

Hi  all,

A few weeks ago my fiancee Rick and  I have  started to look around at other partments to rent because eventually we want to move out of the apartment were living in now.

In addition  to having  a guide dog, I also have a cat and a Chihuahua. So where ever I move to next they will have to accept pets.

Rick and I went to a place called WoodGate Apartments. They rent out 2 bedroom apartments and they do accept cats and small dogs. Rick and I talked to the  manager  of WoodGate Apartments. I asked about their pet policy and they do welcome cats and small dogs  and this was a factor for us when  looking for another apartment.But in their pet policy  you can have one cat and one dog. Well as we all know  the manager already told me that they can't charge me for my guide dog Gipp. But the management also said that Gipp will be counted   as a dog in the household.

Again  their pet policy welcomes cats and small dogsbut in their pet policy you can only have one cat and one dog. you can't have 2 dogs and a cat  or 2 cats and a dog it's just one cat and one dog.
Since Gipp is my service dog the management  knows that they can't charge me for having him. But they did say that they would consider him as a dog in the house hold.  Can the management of WoodGate  have the legal right to  do this, after all Gipps not a pet  but a service dog?
The way I see it is that they can't legally  do this I should be able to have my service dog live with me for nothing since legally  that's the law and that they can't look at my service dog as a dog in the household and that  in the pet policy that I can have my one cat and my small dog which is my Chihuahua living with me without braking anypet policy rules.

So  I need some thoughts on this are the management in the right or wrong hear? TJ Ccan you offer me some legal  advice on this. Any thoughts and suggestions and help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Lori and the Gipper