[Oagdu] dog flu

Debra Baker bakerdebra53 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:44:42 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I took Bella to her vet on Apr. 20 for her annual checkup and updated
vaccines.  Of course I asked about the dog flu.  She said our clinic would
have a shipment of vaccine on Tuesday the 21st.  But she did not recommend
the vaccine.  In the first place, as you have perhaps already heard or read,
just as was true for humans this year, the vaccine does not protect against
the strain that vets are fighting.  My vet said she would not vaccinate her
own large dog.  She feels that giving the shot would be only as effective as
a shot of sterile water.  The shot costs $25.  She said she would only
recommend the vaccine for dogs that visit a dog park often or those who are
kennel boarded very often or for a great amount of time.  Aleeha Dudley did
share, however, that there might be an Ohioan who lives in or near Akron who
has ahred on Facebook that her guide has dog flu.  I can't confirm that.  In
any case, at this point, I'm choosing not to vaccinate Bella.

Debbie Baker