[Oagdu] Fwd: Forms

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Fri Aug 21 11:49:53 UTC 2015

Abby, I think the confusion is between service animals and assistance
animals.  Assistance animals are allowed in housing units, where they
are not allowed in other public acommodations.  The person with the
assistance animal can be asked to provide a doctor's statement
explaining the need of the assistance animal while this cannot be
required of an individual using a service animal.    Service animals
are protected under the ADA in housing and public acommodations.  I
know allergies or fear of dogs is not a reason to deny services but
housing starts to get into a gray area.  They are not the same.
Again, many people confuse the two.  If WSU would change the wording
to assistance animals instead of service animals then it would,
probably, be fixed. Finally, assistance animals are not only dogs but
can be most animals unless the animal presents a danger to the owner
or others.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053