[Oagdu] Saw this on the news.

Angel angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 28 19:28:17 UTC 2015

There is a difference between a totally blind person, with no possible way for medical science to restore the sight of that individual and a sighted person with "emotional, or "anxiety" issues.  If treated properly, such "emotional" or "anxiety" issues can be corrected.   To put them both in the same category does us blind people who use dogs or horses to guide us a severe disservice.  Because laws putting all those with challenges together, allows a lot of room for the allowance of any sort of animal in to establishments.  Not to mention the sorrow I feel for the poor bird.  Who is diapered, and who is forced to wear a leech.  I had a dog guide in the 70's, and attempted to make her wear footwear in winter.  Because of icy conditions, and road salt.  The dog had no idea of the importance of such restriction, and fought the restraint  all   the way.  Heavens, I don't even wear shoes.  Save in extreme weather.  Where is PETA when they are needed.  To fight for the poor birds right not to have to be subjected to such humiliation as this.  My feeling that guide dogs shouldn't have as free access as they do, if we totally blind travelers had a choice would be the same as I feel for this silly woman's request .  But, for many of us a dog guide or Guide horse is the only choice available to us.  If we want to travel independently of sighted assistance.  There is no medical model to correct our vision loss.  For those maintaining their tractable pets are service animals, and ought to avail themselves of the same privileges as have we blind patrons to take our dogs where we choose, in my opinion, is specious.   People as are these are just piggybacking on the privilege, for which we have fought long and hard. This does them a disservice as well.  As doing so might be also depriving themselves of much needed psychological treatment.  Simply because they don't want to leave their service frog, monkey, bird, or whatever other animal suits their fancy at home.  Where it belongs.  I know, I don't want to share any public space with an animal other than a guide dog or horse.  Whose schools name isn't written on its harness.  Any more than I would want to give out my private information to a policeman without proper credentials.