[Oagdu] service animals and Uber or Lyft again

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Wed Oct 14 12:24:49 UTC 2015

I would like it if there was a button or box that I could check saying that I am blind, so please be on the lookout for me. That way the driver can find me easier, and knows that I won’t be able to locate them easily.
I typically do not have a big need take taxis and have not yet tried Uber, but I’ve had some very negative experiences with taxis. The first one, was at an NFB Convention in Detroit. The driver was picking up a group of us, and flat out refused to take me and another lady with a guide dog. He would take everyone else. So,for a while, on the rare occasions that I did use a cab after that, I informed to dispatcher that I am blind and use a guide dog, so please send someone who likes dogs. The first time I did this, it worked out great! The second time, I got someone who really hated dogs and did not want to take us. I politely imformed him that it was illegal to refuse me service, so he reluctantly took us. He was in a hurry to get rid of us and was driving very reclassly, he drove over a curb and got a flat tire. So, then he had to call another cab to pick us up. It was a horrible experience, and I was on my way to a Christmas party and got there 2 hours late. Kind of ironic, since he really wanted to get rid of us, but we had to wait in his van for another hour or so… But, after that I realized it really didn’t do much good to notify the company that I had a guide dog, because I don’t think they really cared and definitely did not try to get a driver who is ok with a dog.
Deanna