[Oagdu] service animals and Uber or Lyft again

Abigail Bolling abigail.me.bolling94 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 03:01:24 UTC 2015

I personally have written on Ubers facebook page that if perspective dri
vers are not ok with dogs in their cars, then they shouldn't be working
for uber.
Yes, the drivers do use their personal cars, and therefore should at
least be notified. I don't think the drivers should be able to cancel
the trips though.
I've seen where a driver will say yes, and then see that I have a dog
and cancel the trip and drive away. I've even had one where the driver
pulled up and I guess acted like I took the trip and I got charged for a
trip that I wasn't even picked up for (that got resolved very quickly)

I have done the thing where I request a trip, and then text the driver
and let them know that I am blind, with a service dog. then if they
cancel the trip after I notify them I have a dog, it's on them and they
get reported.
I do it as an act of courtasy, but I don't think that it should be
expected. Uber drivers should not be expecting blind people to notify
them, whether there is a box or button on the app. it is our choice to
notify them or not.

Kind of a diferent issue, but my school has an electronic accommadations
form that I was required to fill out. On that form, there was a
button/box that I had the option to check if I had a service dog...
(Long story how that button got pushed and my professors were notified,
but that's over and done...) but I didn't have to, but it was there as
an option.

Abby
On 10/14/2015 12:13 PM, Marion Gwizdala via Oagdu wrote:

> Marianne,
>
> If this is something that is proposed, NAGDU would vehemently oppose
> it. You are so correct that such a plan would only perpetuate
> discrimination.
>
> Fraternally yours,
>
> Marion Gwizdala

Abigail Bolling
Wright State University-2018: Rehabilitation Services
Phone: (513) 512-3456
"keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart, and just let the music play." (Julie Anderson-Diamond)
"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no one is listening, and live like it's Heaven on earth." (William Purkey)
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." (H. L. Mencken
"We can only learn to love by loving." (Iris Murdoch