[Oagdu] {Spam?} Gipp's back home

Lori Dent loriandleo at ohiohills.com
Tue Jun 14 03:22:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Rick and I dropped Gipp off at the vet’s office at  nine this morning and we didn’t pick him back up until six this evening.  Gipp was glad to see me and they said when he woke up he was whining and crying and I think part of that was because he was a little confused  on where he was when he woke up and I wasn’t there and he probably was in a little bit of pain.  They gave him an injection of pain medication around eleven this morning and this pain medication stays in the dog’s system for48 hours. He has to wear the cone of shame all the time 24/7. They really don’t want me taking the cone off because the minute I remove the cone Gipp  will   go after his eye with his paw and we don’t want him scratching his eye or pulling out the stitches. They didn’t send me home with any other pain medication since he already has an injection of pain medication in his system.

Since he has to wear the cone 24/7 for 2 weeks he won’t be able to go out for walks and work for me. I have to take Gipp back in 14 days to have the eye looked at and then the stitches removed. I’m also to go out with him when ever he needs to go outside to park. so I can keep an watch on him so he don’t try rubbing the cone on the fence and trying to go after the eye.
The vet doesn’t want me taking the cone off of Gipp  because if it comes off Gipp will try to go after his eye with his paw and we don’t want him scratching or pulling out the stitches and having to go back to the vet and having the vet redo what he already did the first time. There places we need to go this week and the places that we go to  this week will be by vehicle and Gipp will be doing minimum walking like from  the house to the van and from the van to  whatever place we have to go to. I will have Gipp’s harness with me but I won’t have it on him. but will carry it with me while just heeling Gipp. I told the vet assistance  that the only time I would have the cone off is to put the harness on him and then put the cone back on him but not  pick up the harness handle but just heel him on leash and the harness will just be on him to identify   that Gipp is a service animal Gipp’s not allowed to exercise  for 7 to 10 days meaning he’s not allowed to  do lots of walking  or playing. Minimum and some walking is allowed like walking from the house to the van and from the van to whatever place were at and back to the van.
There’s several places we have to go to this week. Starting with tomorrow Rick and I bowl on a bowling league tomorrow afternoon. So I will heel Gipp in to the bowling alley carrying his harness with me and he will be laying down and sleeping while were bowling. On Wedddmesday evening we have a Balloon-A-Fair meeting that we need to be at and I’m also the secretary of this organization so I need to take minutes at the meeting. The meeting will be at a restaurant and I plan to have Gipp’s harness with me  but Gipp won’t be wearing it. On Friday I have a doctor’s appointment. I know  the harness identifies that he’s a service animal  and it’s the training that makes him a well  behaved service animal. My question is can I take Gipp into public places just on leash without him wearing the harness ? But I will carry the  with me.

Gipp has  been sleeping off and on tonight since he’s been back home. Which he needs.  He’s also had a small amount of food which he has kept  down so far. I also have offered him a little bit of water and so far he’s not been interested in it.

The surgery cost $418 dollars and some change and this was with a 15% discount. So it wasn’t to bad and a lot cheaper to have my vet do the surgery instead of the other place. I think this is about it for now and I’ll keep you all posted. Take care.

Lori and the Gipper