[Oagdu] New Princess cruise policy for service animals

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Mon Jan 7 13:58:56 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I would like to know your thoughts on this. I also sent this to Marion Gwizdala, the National Association of Guide Dog Users President.

I saw this on a GDB that list I am on. It looks like Princess Cruise Lines has implemented a new policy that doesn’t look very congruent with the ADA. The part that really sticks out to me is that you are not permitted to take your dog into the pool seating area. But, if you want to go for a swim, you also are not permitted to leave your dog in the room. So, they are basically saying that blind individuals who travel with a service dog are not permitted to use the pool on board the ship.

I am actually going on my first cruise in May, which is on Carnival. But, I worry that they may see this contract and adopt a similar policy. The new contract that they make service dog handlers sign, is below. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Deanna

To board the ship your Service Animal must have current vaccinations. Records confirming the vaccination status need to be provided to the Princess Cruises Access Office 10 business days prior to your departure. You are advised to carry the original immunization records with you in case they are required at any port-of-call. Failure to do so may result in the denial of boarding at 100% cancellation penalty. If you do not have the proper documentation and proof of vaccinations for your service animal, or if there are local quarantine requirements, your Service Animal will be denied the right to leave the ship. If your Service Animal is denied the right to leave the ship you will be required to remain onboard. The crew and staff are not permitted to take over care of Service Animals. Additionally, you may not leave your Service Animal unattended on the vessel or in your stateroom at any time.

While onboard, the ship will establish a convenient location for a relief area for your Service Animal. The relief area is a 4x4, box filled with Cedar Mulch (or similar material) and the guest is responsible for cleaning up after the Service Animal. Please note, the relief area is not permitted on guest’s balconies and under no circumstance, are animals allowed to relieve themselves in cabins or cabin restrooms. The use of relief pads is prohibited.

Service Animals must be on a leash or harness at all times while in public areas of the ship and may not sit on any surface other than the floor, strollers are prohibited. Service Animals are not allowed in saunas, hot tubs, pools or the “beach” area surrounding the pool where water may flow freely in and out of the pool.

In any location that food is being served or is available the Service Animal must remain on the floor at all times. Service

Animals may not be fed in public areas of the ship, including dining areas. It is the guest’s responsibility to bring all food for their Service Animal and the animal may not be fed from service ware used by guests.
To ensure that we are  able to best meet the needs of your Service Animal, we require that you take a moment to review, sign and date this letter and return the document to our Access Office at least 10 business days prior to your departure. Failure to do so may result in this approval being revoked.

--
This email was Malware checked by UTM 9. http://www.sophos.com

Sent from the Clovernook email system