[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotional

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Fri Apr 2 10:10:20 UTC 2021

WILL THE TEMPLE BE REBUILT IN JERUSALEM BEFORE JESUS RETURNS?
April 02, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Dual prophecies have both a physical and spiritual fulfillment. As we read yesterday, Solomon, the son of David, built the physical temple. But this prophecy also applies spiritually to Jesus, the true “Son of David,” who is to build a temple and kingdom that will last forever.

Jesus’ prophecy that the temple would be destroyed inspired the most intense rejection of His teachings. (See Matthew 24:1, 2.) In Mark 14:58, Jesus says, “I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.” Of course, Jesus is speaking of rebuilding a temple not of stone, but of flesh. Many refused this teaching (John 2:20, 21) and even mocked Jesus for it while He was on the cross (Matthew 27:40).

Yet when Jesus died, the veil in the earthly temple ripped in two from the top to bottom (Matthew 27:51), signifying that the temple no longer held meaning. A temple for sacrifice today would be useless, and it would not be the house of God.

The New Testament consistently presents the idea that the temple is the body of Jesus. Ephesians 2:19–22 says, “You are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.”

Even after God provides all this evidence that His temple is a spiritual one, many Christians are waiting for the Jews to receive a construction permit to rebuild a temple on the site where a Muslim mosque now sits. However, there is no prophecy, promise, or commandment that says the physical temple would ever be rebuilt after the Romans razed it nearly 2,000 years ago.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross."
Matthew 27:40

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)