[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Mon Apr 12 16:06:47 UTC 2021

WHAT DOES ISAIAH 45:7 MEAN WHEN IT SAYS GOD CREATES CALAMITY?
April 12, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 and a half minutes

You can couple this verse with the Bible story in which Micaiah the prophet reports that he saw the Lord send a lying spirit to the prophets of Ahab. In these passages and in others, it appears that evil is proceeding from God, yet the Bible says that every good and perfect gift comes from God.

In the book of Job, you find the key that unlocks this relationship between good and evil and God’s involvement. The devil is asking permission of God to tempt and torment Job. The devil cannot do anything without God allowing it. The Lord must withdraw His protection, He must lift the hedge, and He must pull back His protective forces. In that sense, it appears that God is allowing evil. The Lord is the one who placed the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in Eden. That doesn’t mean the Lord wants us to “eat” evil. It means that He gives us the freedom to choose.

Sometimes the Lord withdraws His angels that protect us, and in that sense, you could say that He is allowing evil to come. But the book of James tells us that the Lord Himself does not tempt anyone, neither can He be tempted. The devil is an individual being, roaming about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may destroy and devour. God is constantly putting him in check, to the degree of what He allows the devil to do.

From time to time, the Lord draws back His hand of protection to accomplish some purpose. This is why Paul says, “God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able” (1 Corinthians 10:13). So when Isaiah says that evil comes from the Lord, it simply means that the devil can’t do anything unless God allows it in His sovereign plan.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."
Isaiah 45:7

AMERICA IN BIBLE PROPHECY MAGAZINE
Does the Bible speak about events transpiring in our world? What does Revelation tell us about the key players in the final events? Is it possible that the United States will no longer be a sweet land of liberty?This beautifully designed magazine provides a clear and balanced overview of Revelation 13 and 14 to help your community understand what the Bible says about the final superpowers on Earth.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)