[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Fri Apr 30 13:21:38 UTC 2021

WHICH DAY IS THE SABBATH, AND DOES IT STILL MATTER TODAY?
April 30, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 and a half minutes

The Bible is very clear that the Sabbath is the seventh day of the week. Many spiritual people worship Jesus on the first day of the week (Sunday), believing that the Sabbath was meant for the Jews only. But is this true? Genesis 2:1, 2, shows us that God established the Sabbath as a memorial of creation. No Jews existed at the beginning of the world! God chose a day to remind not only the Jews, but all of humanity, that He is both our sustainer and our Creator.

How do we know that the seventh day is what we call “Saturday”? First of all, Jews today still worship on Saturday. For a whole nation to forget which day is the Sabbath would be hard to believe! Second, astronomers who have studied changes in the calendar affirm that while many changes to the calendar have been made, they in no way affected the weekly cycle.

Third, the Bible tells us that even in His death, Jesus rested on the Sabbath. He was crucified on a Friday, the preparation day; He rested in the tomb on the Sabbath; and He rose the first day of the week. Fourth, dictionaries define “Sunday” as the first day of the week and “Saturday” as the seventh day. Indeed, if one looks at a calendar, the weeks begin with Sunday and end with Saturday. Fifth, in 145 languages of the world, the word for the seventh day of the week means “Sabbath day”!

God knew we needed a special day on which to nurture our relationship with Him. The devil wants us to forget about that time of rest so that our relationship with God will be destroyed. However, God still calls us to “Remember the Sabbath day” (Exodus 20:8) and honor Him as Creator by setting it apart for Him each week.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:"
"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."
Exodus 20:10-11

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)