[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: WITH WHOM DID JACOB WRESTLE BY THE BROOK—AN ANGEL OR GOD?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Tue Aug 10 17:40:38 UTC 2021

WITH WHOM DID JACOB WRESTLE BY THE BROOK—AN ANGEL OR GOD?
August 10, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Jacob’s nighttime visitor is typically referred to as a “man” in most translations, but the NKJV capitalizes the word “Man” because the context indicates that this celestial being was the Lord. Yes, it first appears that Jacob wrestles with an angel, but later, he says, “I have seen God” (Genesis 32:30) because of what the being said to him. For instance, this messenger gives Jacob a new name. Only Jesus gives us a new name (Revelation 2:17), so I believe that Jacob wrestled with the pre-incarnate Son of God.

The Lord comes to visit Jacob, who is fearful that Esau is coming to kill him. More than a little tense, Jacob prays in the darkness, but someone touches him. He spins around to overpower the stranger, but the visitor’s inhuman strength reveals this is not a mere earthling—but God. In the end, God says, “You have to let go because the day is breaking” (v. 26). Jacob answers, “I won’t let you go unless you bless me.” Of course, Jacob isn’t presuming that he can outwrestle God; instead, he’s pleading for mercy.

The Scriptures say, “No man has seen God” at any time (John 1:18). Yet several places in the Old Testament indicate people talked to God—such as Moses. After seeing a messenger from heaven, Manoah and his wife report, “We have seen God. We’re going to die” (Judges 13:22).

Christ existed before His Bethlehem incarnation, which is why He says, “Before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). So I believe it was Christ who appeared to these patriarchs. The member of the Godhead not seen by mortals is the Father; many people have seen God the Son.

This story of Jacob also implies more than a physical tussle. It was a spiritual battle. He probably latched onto Jesus’ feet when he realized he could not overcome Him. The divine touch to his hip would remind him of his dependence on God. He did not lose in this wrestling match; he truly gained.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day."
Genesis 32:24

THE BIBLE TRUTH ABOUT HELL MAGAZINE
Is hell a real place … or just a metaphor? Are sinners tortured in hellfire for eternity? Is the devil in charge of it all? These questions and more are answered in this brand-new sharing magazine from Amazing Facts International.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)