[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: MUST YOU BE BAPTIZED TO BE SAVED? WHAT ABOUT THE THIEF ON THE CROSS?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Fri Aug 13 02:31:59 UTC 2021

MUST YOU BE BAPTIZED TO BE SAVED? WHAT ABOUT THE THIEF ON THE CROSS?
August 12, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

God has a plan that can totally wash away all your sins and supercharge your character. Christ says, “We were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life” (Romans 6:4).

When you accept Christ, the old life dies and the Lord promises to forget all your sins! Not only that, He can help you overcome every sinful habit in your life. Did you know the cross is mentioned 28 times in the Bible, but baptism is mentioned 97 times? It must be pretty important then, and no wonder, because it signifies a new life with the haunting, sinful past buried forever.

“But what about the thief on the cross? He was not baptized, so why should I be?” It’s true: The thief on the cross was never baptized, yet Christ assured him of eternal life. It’s also true that the thief never restored what he stole, according to Ezekiel 33:15. I believe God holds us accountable for what we can do, but He also recognizes our limitations, that we are “dust” (see Psalm 103:14).

I think if the thief could have come down from the cross, he would immediately have been baptized. If you study all the Scripture on baptism, this is the only exception. It seems God wants us to do everything in our power to be baptized, publicly showing our faith in the work of Christ in our lives. But for those in highly unusual circumstances, the Lord still provides us assurance of His love.

If you genuinely love Jesus, you will want to follow His example. He was baptized by immersion (Mark 1:9, 10). If you want to prepare your heart for baptism, learn about God’s requirements (Matthew 28:19, 20), believe the truth of God’s Word (Mark 16:16), and turn away from your sins and experience genuine conversion (Acts 2:38).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."
Mark 16:16

THE BIBLE TRUTH ABOUT HELL MAGAZINE
Is hell a real place … or just a metaphor? Are sinners tortured in hellfire for eternity? Is the devil in charge of it all? These questions and more are answered in this brand-new sharing magazine from Amazing Facts International.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)