[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] How to Avoid a "Titanic" Mistake

mmoore11 at kent.edu mmoore11 at kent.edu
Mon Aug 30 12:54:15 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
<committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io> On Behalf Of trish via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 6:53 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] How to Avoid a "Titanic" Mistake

How to Avoid a "Titanic" Mistake

Just before midnight on April 15, 1912, the RMS Titanic hit an iceberg
sending it to the bottom of the North Atlantic.  Even today, there continues
to be tremendous interest in the ill-fated vessel. With the exception of
Noah's Ark, the Titanic has intrigued more people than any other vessel in
history.

Experts of its day hailed this "ship of dreams" as "practically unsinkable".
One seaman even went so far as to say: "God Himself couldn't sink this
ship!"  Thomas Andrews, one of the Titanic's designers, boasted: "The ship
is as perfect as human brains can make."

That's why the morning after the sinking, most people refused to believe the
"unsinkable" had actually sunk. Even the Wall Street Journal printed an
optimistic report: "The gravity of the damage to the Titanic is apparent,
but the important point is that she did not sink."

I read a book on the inquiry that took place immediately following the
arrival of the Titanic's survivors in New York. After fully investigating
the reasons for the sinking, Senator William Smith reported: "No drill or
station practice or helpful discipline disturbed the tranquility of that
voyage; and when the crisis came, a state of absolute unpreparedness
stupefied both passengers and crew. . . . Indifference to danger was one of
the direct and contributing causes this unnecessary tragedy."

Fast forward 100 years, and things haven't changed much. Our hearts push us
with words like icebergs. "Never depend on anyone." "Save face at all
costs!" "Stand alone." And the root of this advice?

Pride!

Pride is like a cancer that permeates every part of who we are. It affects
how we look at ourselves and others. It's what we feel when we've made a
mistake but refuse to admit it. Pride causes us to stand our ground when we
ought to ask forgiveness. Pride lashes out and spews illogical blather,
because it has no real basis for battle. Pride can blind us into thinking
the world owes us an apology - or that God does.

The old prophet Obadiah said it well: "The arrogance of your heart has
deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rock, in the loftiness of
your dwelling place, who say in your heart, 'Who will bring me down to
earth?'" (Obadiah 3). Speaking to those who felt they were unsinkable,
Obadiah teaches us that pride blinds us to the truth.

Take an honest look at your relationships, particularly the strained ones.
If you're honest, isn't pride lurking beneath the surface of it all? Isn't
it pride that points the finger to everyone else but yourself? It's time to
abandon a foundering vessel. Walk humbly with your God.

If we find ourselves on the ship of pride, we should listen to the warning
of Fredrick Fleet, the Titanic's lookout: "Iceberg, right ahead!"

"The arrogance of man will be brought low and the pride of men humbled; the
Lord alone will be exalted in that day. (Isaiah 2:17)

Copyright (c) 2012 Wayne Stiles
www.waynestiles.org <http://www.waynestiles.org>

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#8722)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/8722>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20How%
20to%20Avoid%20a%20%22Titanic%22%20Mistake>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:trishzoellers at icloud.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20How%2
0to%20Avoid%20a%20%22Titanic%22%20Mistake>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/85247912/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.