[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: DOESN’T THE PHRASE “UNQUENCHABLE FIRE” INDICATE THAT THE FIRES OF HELL WILL NEVER GO OUT?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Fri Jul 9 20:15:07 UTC 2021

DOESN’T THE PHRASE “UNQUENCHABLE FIRE” INDICATE THAT THE FIRES OF HELL WILL NEVER GO OUT?
July 09, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

An unquenchable fire is a fire that cannot be put out. Once it begins its work, nothing can stop it. Likewise, when the fires of hell begin, no amount of water can extinguish the flames. The question to be asked is, “Will it ever go out?” Yes, of course—when its work is done. When sin and sinners are consumed, the fires will quit. Isaiah 47:14 describes this work as ending in “stubble.” After the fires of hell have done their work of destruction, the flames will go out.

The “fire” mentioned in Matthew 3 speaks of the punishment of the wicked. Since God is described in the Bible as a consuming fire (Deuteronomy 4:24), sin cannot exist in His presence. It is consumed and destroyed. And so at the end of time, when all have made their final choice to either accept or reject the Lord, His glorious coming to this earth will certainly destroy and consume sinners who refuse to let go of sin.

All three verses in the above text present two classes of people—the saved and the lost. Verse 10 compares the lost as a tree that does not bear fruit and is cast into a fire and consumed. Verse 12 describes sinners as chaff that will “burn up.” Like a refiner’s fire, the sin in our lives will either be burned up—or it will burn us up with it if we are unwilling to release it to God.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."
"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"
"Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
Matthew 3:10-12

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)