[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: IS IT NECESSARY TO PRAY “IN JESUS’ NAME” AT THE END OF EVERY PRAYER?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Jul 17 23:46:45 UTC 2021

IS IT NECESSARY TO PRAY “IN JESUS’ NAME” AT THE END OF EVERY PRAYER?
July 17, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 and a half minutes

Jesus actually commands us to pray in His name. He says, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you” (John 16:23). This doesn’t mean, however, that just saying His name has some kind of magical power.

Suppose I go to a complete stranger asking for a favor. They’re not likely to listen to my request. But if I bring them a letter from their best friend, someone they love, and it’s signed by their best friend—well, that could make a big difference. I say to them, “Look, I’ve come in the name of Henry, and here’s a letter from Henry, signed by him. Can you help me with this problem?” If they love Henry, and I’m coming in Henry’s name, they will listen to me.

Jesus told us, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). When we come to the Father, we come in the name of the Lord Jesus and say, “Please, hear my prayer. Not because I deserve it. I’ve been alienated from you by sin. But because of your love for your Son, please honor my request for His sake.” That’s really what it means to pray in Jesus’ name. It can also mean to pray with the mind and the spirit of Christ and with the same attitude that Jesus had.

Of course, the Father loves us too; He wants us to come to Him. That’s why He sent Jesus to bridge the gap. Jesus said, “In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God” (John 16:26, 27).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."
John 14:13

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)