[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Tue Jun 1 11:50:39 UTC 2021

WHY DOES THE BIBLE SAY TO NOT BOIL A BABY GOAT IN ITS MOTHER’S MILK?
June 01, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 and a half minutes

It’s not always easy to understand certain Old Testament laws because the purpose for them is unclear to us. That’s why it is important to study the context of the passage and other Bible verses that pertain to the topic. We can also learn more about a Bible verse by understanding the culture in which the people lived at that time.

Archaeologists have discovered interesting texts in ancient Syria that explains that boiling a sacrificial young goat in their mother’s milk was a ritual practice of the Canaanites. This was the heathen nation that practiced so many abominable things that God commanded Israel to “utterly destroy” them (Deuteronomy 20:17). The Israelites only partially carried out this commission.

Another horrible practice in Canaanite worship to the god Molech was to sacrifice children by having them “pass through the fire” (Deuteronomy 18:10). The Lord wanted to protect His people from these ghastly ceremonies. “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations” (v. 9).

God did not want His people to follow heathen rituals. It was His desire to have a clear line of separation from the idolatry of these nations. “Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:5, 6).

Some have suggested this Canaanite idolatrous ritual worked to break down the sacredness of the family, even in the animal world. Parents should protect their children, not offer them as sacrifices to some evil god. There is to be a distinction in how Christians live. “ ‘They shall be Mine,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘on that day that I make them My jewels. And I will spare them as a man spares his own son who serves him’ ” (Malachi 3:17).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Ye shall not eat of anything that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that is in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk."
Deuteronomy 14:21

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)