[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: IF ALL HIS FOLLOWERS HAVE DIED, HOW COULD JESUS SAY THAT SOME OF THEM WOULD NOT TASTE DEATH UNTIL THEY SEE HIM COMING IN HIS KINGDOM?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed Jun 23 11:44:48 UTC 2021

IF ALL HIS FOLLOWERS HAVE DIED, HOW COULD JESUS SAY THAT SOME OF THEM WOULD NOT TASTE DEATH UNTIL THEY SEE HIM COMING IN HIS KINGDOM?
June 23, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 and a half minutes

This verse can be best understood in light of what immediately follows it—the transfiguration of Christ before Peter, James, and John. The next chapter describes this experience and how God spoke out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 17:5).

The apostle Peter refers to this event in his writings. Notice how he describes it: “For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: ‘This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.’ And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain” (2 Peter 1:16–18, emphasis mine).

This clearly is a reference to the transfiguration of Jesus. It was like a glimpse into the future for these three disciples. Peter speaks of this preview as the “coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” In addition, Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus on the mount. Why? They represent the people who will be saved in God’s kingdom at the second coming. Moses represents those who have died and will be resurrected, and Elijah represents those who never taste death.

But isn’t Moses still dead? Notice what the Bible says. “Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses…” (Jude 9). Why else would Satan argue at Moses’ graveside except that the Lord resurrected him?

Peter, James, and John saw a glimpse of the coming of Christ before tasting death. It’s my hope to see Jesus come soon! How about you?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."
Matthew 16:28

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)